Welcome to the Anglo-Thai Society (ATS) and thank you for visiting our website.
The Anglo-Thai Society (ATS) was founded in 1962 to help promote good relations between the UK and Thailand. It currently has around 300 members with an interest in Thailand's people, culture and its business relations. Throughout the year the society organises various events and activities of interest to our members. The two principal Anglo-Thai Society events each year are the Summer Reception at the House of Lords in June and The Presentation of Educational Awards in November. ATS is extremely grateful to our society patrons, H.E. The Thai Ambassador and The Lord Gedddes.
Thailand in 2016 - An economic and political outlook & an update on AEC developments - 11 February, 0900 GMT / 1600 Thailand
Registration link - https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1937554264997567233
We have assembled a distinguished panel of experts to share their analysis and outlook for Thailand in 2016. This webinar will feature:
- H.E. Mark Kent, British Ambassador to Thailand -
- Lyn Kok, President and CEO of Standard Chartered Bank Thailand and CEO for the Greater Mekong Subregion
- Andrew McBean, Grant Thornton's ASEAN and AEC specialist
Panellists will provide an update on Thailand's political developments and economic and business prospects for 2016. Speakers will also share their insights into the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC). December 2015 marked an important milestone for the AEC as it continues its journey towards becoming an integrated region and the world’s 4th largest “single market” by 2030. Thailand’s position at the heart of the Greater Mekong Subregion will also be discussed.
Thailand’s retail sector: an overview of developments and opportunities for UK companies - 18 February
09:30-10:45 AM GMT / 16:30-17.45 PM Thailand
Registration link - https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/2244427960219363074
Worth £27bn, the Thai retail sector offers opportunities for UK retail and consumer goods companies. Thailand’s retail and e-commerce sector is dynamic and growing and British products are in demand. New luxury and out of town shopping malls continue to open across the country, adding to the impressive shopping options already on offer. Online retail is also developing quickly and is projected to grow by as much as eight times in the coming years, the same pace as China's growth. More Thai retailers have launched their own online websites and apps to respond to changing consumer behaviours. Join this webinar to learn about opportunities for UK companies. Experts from the retail industry will share their latest analysis. The webinar will include an opportunity for Q&A.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Mr Ali fancy, CEO of Zalora (Thailand) Co Ltd. Zalora (Thailand) Co Ltd is an online fashion and beauty retailer based in Southeast Asia. The company has websites inSingapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, the Philippines and Vietnam. Zalora is part of the Zalora Group, which also includes online fashion retailer Iconic. (http://en.zalora.co.th)
- Mr Tom Srivorakul, CEO of aCommerce (Thailand) Co Ltd. aCommerce powers e-commerce in Southeast Asia as a one stop shop for e-retail services including channel management, cross-border management, marketing solutions, tech development, warehousing and fulfilment, last-mile delivery, localized customer service and more. (www.acommerce.asia)
Thai Education Sector - Recent Developments and Opportunities for UK companies - 15 March, 0900-1000 GMT / 1600-1700 Thailand
Registration link - https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/6982172986683299330
Join this webinar for an up-to-date briefing on the latest developments in Thailand’s Education Sector. Business representatives will share their analysis and insights in the following areas:
- Priorities for Thailand’s education reform
- Vocational training
- Education equipment supplies
- International Schools sector
- English language
- Education Technologies
The webinar will include a Q&A session offering UK companies a chance to put questions directly to the experts. Speaker line up is being finalised but is likely to include senior representatives from the Thai Ministry of Education, British Council and the private sector.
An Update on the Thai Defence Market and Thai Military Procurement Aspirations - 17 March, 1000 GMT / 1700 BKK
Registration link - https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/671267613851514882
This webinar has been designed to assist UK companies seeking to enter the Thai defence market and those already operating within it by:
- Detailing regional (ASEAN) defence spending and where Thailand fits in
- Providing details of the defence budgets within the various Thai Armed Forces
- Identifying future procurement requirements and trends
- Detailing the Thai Armed Force’s current capabilities, operational aspirations and how this links to the procurement of equipment
- Providing expert advice on entering the Thai defence market and successfully doing business
- Rob Clark – UKTI Defence and Security Organisation (British Embassy Bangkok)
- Colonel Chris Luckham – UK Defence Attaché to Thailand
- A senior and experienced individual from a major UK company
Tuesday 29th March
Spring Reception at the Oriental Club. Click here for details and how to book
Tuesday 12th April
Premiere of the documentary film 'Lost in the Mists of Time' about “Khunying Yai Damrongthammasan” a forgotten, outstanding female Thai Buddhist practitioner and author. The film is by Dr. Martin Seeger, Associate Professor in Thai Studies at Leeds University and will be followed by a Q&A.. This event will be held at The Royal Thai Embassy. Click here for details and how to book
Tuesday 10th May
David Fall, former British Ambassador to Vietnam, Thailand and Laos, will give a talk entitled "Released into the community : Recollections of an Ex-Excellency". The event will take place at 7.00 pm at the Royal Over-Seas League, Park Place, off St. James's Street, London, SW1A 1LR. Bookng details coming soon.
Monday 20th June
Summer Reception at the House of Lords. More information and booking details nearer the time.
Saturday 10th September
Thames Cruise with TAT. More information and booking details nearer the time.
Friday 27th November
This year's Educational Awards evening was another great success and was once again greatly enjoyed by ATS members, their guests and the very talented student award winners. The reception was held at The Office of Educational Affairs, The Royal Thai Embassy, London on Friday 27th November. To read more details about the programme, the award winners, our sponsors and the key note speaker, Sir John Madejski OBE, DL, DLitt, please click here To see more photos of the event and the award winners please click here
Our congratulations go to all the students and our thanks go to The Royal Thai Embassy and all the individual award sponsors:
- The Pure Science category was sponsored by the Royal Thai Embassy and the Award was presented by Khun Nadhavathna Krishnamra
- The Medical Science Award was sponsored by OCS and the Award was presented by Mr Steve Buckley
- The Engineering & Technology Award was sponsored by ThaiBev and the Award was presented by former Ambassador to Thailand, Mr Quinton Quayle
- The Environment Award was sponsored by New Cavendish Books and the Award was presented by Mr Chris Shelley (on behalf of Khunying Narisa Chakrabhongse (CEO of River Books).
- The Law Award was sponsored by Number 5 Chambers and the Award was presented by Mr Adrian Keeling QC. In addition to the Award, the winner also has the opportunity of internship at the Chambers which will be an invaluable experience.
- The Humanities and Social Science Award was sponsored by The Chaopraya Group and the Award was presented by Ms Saipin LeeOriginating in 2005 the Anglo-Thai Society launched a scheme of Educational Awards for Excellence. The purpose of the Awards is to acknowledge the achievement and excellence of Thai postgraduate students carrying out research at British universities.
Each year the ATS Educational Awards attract increasing numbers of entries from talented Thai students who are in the final stages of their PhD research at top UK universities. This year was no exception with a record-breaking number of entries from right across the UK including Wales and Scotland. It was also excellent to welcome so many eminent PhD Supervisors who accompanied their award recipients in recognition of their achievements.
The Awards are strongly supported by the Royal Thai Embassy and in his speech Khun Nadhavathna Krishnamra paid tribute to the tremendous wealth of talent of Thai students in the UK and the importance of their research to the Thai nation.
An inspirational keynote speech was made by Sir John Madejski OBE, DL, DLitt who focused on his entrepreneurial career and links with Thailand.
The Awards continue to attract prestigious sponsors who wish to be associated with an event which recognises the tremendous wealth of talent of Thai students in the UK. This year saw the addition of a Law category in response to the popularity of the subject among Thai students.
The Royal Over-Seas League (ROSL) offers a special joining discount for members of the Anglo-Thai Society. Members of the Anglo-Thai Society receive a 25% discount on ROSL joining fees and do not require a proposer or seconder for membership.
ROSL is a unique non-profit private membership organisation, dedicated to championing international friendship and understanding within the Commonwealth community and beyond. This aspiration, advocated by its founder Sir Evelyn Wrench, has shaped its identity since the club was established in 1910 and continues to inspire its devoted service to its membership; enthusiastic support of classical music and the arts; and contribution to worldwide humanitarian relief.
With splendid clubhouses in prime locations in St James’s, London and Princes Street, Edinburgh, members can escape from the bustle of the city and meet friends and colleagues in a peaceful environment. Both clubhouses provide members with bedroom accommodation, a private drawing room, restaurant, bar, and exquisite function rooms. The London clubhouse also offers members a terrace and private garden with seasonal al fresco dining overlooking Green Park.
Members traveling further afield can benefit from reciprocal arrangements with over 80 renowned clubs around the world.
A quarterly journal Overseas is sent to all members and features articles on Commonwealth countries, club news, branch reports, and programmes of organised social and cultural events including concerts, literary lectures, art exhibitions, dinners, tours and trips. Popular event staples in London include the Chairman’s Lunch and afternoon tea at the House of Lords, while members visiting ROSL Edinburgh benefit from being at the heart of the Hogmanay celebrations and Edinburgh Fringe Festival.
In addition to the benefits listed above, Royal Over-Seas League membership supports ROSL ARTS, which, for more than 60 years, has nurtured the careers of talented young professional artists and musicians from the UK and Commonwealth. Furthermore, in addition to supporting the arts, members also generously champion ROSL’s education and humanitarian projects.
To make an enquiry or to request an application pack, please visit www.rosl.org.uk or contact the membership team at:
Royal Over-Seas League
St James's Street
London SW1A 1LR
T: +44 (0)20 7408 0214
Page 1 of 2
Calendar of Events
There are no scheduled events for February
Tuesday 29th March
ATS Spring Reception at the Oriental Club. For more information and booking details please click here
Tuesday 12th April
Talk by Dr. Martin Seeger of the Thai Studies Centre, Leeds University. For more information and booking details, please click here